Does my standard homeowners policy cover flooding?

Is your homeowners policy appropriate in the event of a flood? Most standard policies do not cover flooding, so it is important to be aware of what your specific policy does and does not cover. In order to determine if you need supplemental coverage, it is important to understand the basics of flooding and how it can affect homeowners. Floods can occur anywhere there is standing water, such as a flooded basement or a broken dam. Those of Houston know how fast floods can happen all too well. Our experts at The Voss Law Firm discuss options and things to consider when considering flood insurance. The best way to protect yourself and your property is to know what kind of risks you face and get the right insurance coverage.

Do I need flood insurance?

Floods are one of the most common and costly natural disasters in the United States. According to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), floods occur in every state, and they can occur at any time of the year. If you live in a particular flood zone, you are required to purchase flood insurance. However, floods can also occur inland and away from major rivers. As a result, it is important to consider purchasing a flood insurance policy if your home could be inundated by melting snow, flooding a stream or pond, hurricanes or other extreme weather events.

Flood insurance is available to renters and homeowners, but, like earthquake insurance, it is not part of standard coverage for homeowners. Flood policies are provided separately by the federal government and dozens of private insurance companies. If you think you need flood insurance, don’t wait for a flood season warning on the evening news to buy an insurance policy. There is a 30-day waiting period before coverage becomes effective for National Flood Insurance Program documents. Flood insurance is an important way to protect your home and property from the devastating effects of floods.

House flooded everywhere after a storm

Where do I get flood insurance?

Homeowners who live in areas at risk of flooding often purchase flood insurance to protect their property from costly damage. Flood insurance is generally sold through private insurance agents, but in some areas primary flood insurance may be available through private insurance companies. NFIP offers a number of different policy options to meet the needs of different homeowners, and it is important to work with an insurance agent to find the right policy for your home. There are two types of flood insurance in the private market.

1) Many private insurance companies are now beginning to offer “first dollar” or primary flood insurance policies. These policies work similarly to NFIP policies, but generally offer higher levels of coverage. For homeowners who live in areas at risk of flooding, basic flood insurance is essential protection against the financial devastation that can accompany a flood. Homeowners should contact an insurance professional to see if basic private flood insurance is available in their area.

2) Excess flood insurance can give homeowners peace of mind that they will be financially protected in the event of a flood. It is important to note that flood insurance is not the same as the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), a government-sponsored program that provides basic flood coverage to homeowners. Homeowners who need extra protection or who live in a community that does not participate in NFIP can purchase excess flood insurance from the private market.

A street with high water all around it and a high water warning sign

Flood insurance claim denied

Floods can be a devastating event for any homeowner. If your home has been damaged by a flood, it is important to file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. However, sometimes, insurance companies reject claims, leaving homeowners with large repair bills. If your claim is denied, you have the right to appeal the decision. FEMA recommends that policyholders discuss disputes with insurance companies first. During the appeal process, keep a detailed record of every call you make to your insurance company. Write down the name and surname of each person you spoke with, what you talked about, and the dates and times of each conversation. If you are unable to resolve the dispute with your insurance company, it may be time to engage an attorney.

Voss Law Firm, PC has been protecting the rights of policyholders for the past 16 years, and in that time, we’ve recovered billions of dollars in settlements for our clients. Ready to see what we can do for you? Complete the online contact form or call our office at 888-614-7730 To schedule a free initial consultation with a member of our legal team. We work in emergencies, so don’t pay anything unless we win your case.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *